i want to be a good artist but i am not good at drawing?

November 23, 2008 by

i start a job as graphic designer, but the problem is i want to sketch anything from my idea but i cant, ii see many drawing in deviantart.com or other website, they are great, this is talent or what ? i want to learn step by step but i dont know where can i start. i go to art class at night , instructor ask to draw a guy or girl standing… and i cant make it. my drawing look like a 5 years old boy.
what can i do ?
I am Cambodia i can see works on National Geography, animal planet, or other TV channel made a great design.

please help me and no art school, we have Royal University of Fine here, but they focus on Traditional and Ancient Khmer art.
sorry my english not good

Practice! The easiest way to practice drawing people is to start by drawing from drawings (Leonardo da Vinci's line drawings and sketches of people might be a good place to start), so you can see how other artists manage to represent 3D people on a 2D surface using just a few lines. Once you are comfortable with techniques, start drawing simple objects from life, like an apple. Check to see how other artists make a few pencil strokes on a piece of paper look like a solid spherical apple. My old art teacher told me that once you can draw a life-like apple, you can draw anything =)

Jacquesh, at the largest agency I ever worked at there were 5 art directors and numerous graphic designers, and I was the ONLY one who could draw. Illustration is not synonymous with graphic design. Just because your handwriting is appalling, for example, it doesn't mean that you can't design a fabulous magazine page layout. And just because you are excellent at drawing it doesn't mean that you will ever be a good graphic designer.

Comments

11 Responses to “i want to be a good artist but i am not good at drawing?”

1. SME on November 23rd, 2008 1:08 am

Look at others art. Find a style that you like and can do and copy it. All artists copy from each other. You do this until you have a style of your own. Keep going.
    References :

2. Katy C on November 23rd, 2008 1:54 am

google some art guides. the best thing to start doing is doodling in all your spare time, just cartoons and simple stuff and work your way up. good art takes years of practice, but you need imagination, too. This means it would be a good idea to go out and get inspired first. Look for something that inspires you and go from there!
    References :

3. tosimple2xplain on November 23rd, 2008 2:28 am

anyone can learn to draw. There is an english book called "Drawing With The Right Side of Your Brain"…check and see if its been translated into your native language.

I used to feel the same way as you but I just started practicing non stop. Try reading some online tutorials. Also, remember when you're drawing, if ur using lines then you can ONLY use lines the whole picture. If your using shading, you can ONLY shade the entire picture(no lines). Mixing the two makes the drawings look wrong.
    References :
    Personal experience

4. DB_MONTY on November 23rd, 2008 2:38 am

research on other styles or art forms. you might be good in abstract painting
    References :

5. Sanjay Kumar on November 23rd, 2008 3:11 am

By going through your self explanatory note, I came to the conclusion that there is some lack of coordination between your imagine and yours fingers which help you to produce a good art. As far as I guess, you are missing high level concentration or whatever yours instructor wants, you are unable to produce. So at this level, I am very much such you are lacking nothing but concentration. If you start to perform meditation early in the morning in a quite environment or surrounding by waking up yourself at least 4 or 5 A.M. in the early morning will certainly help you in your art drawing practices in future. Kindly follow the suggestion at least for a year or two for your good future prospectus..
    References :

6. jacquesh2001 on November 23rd, 2008 3:43 am

I would not congratulate the guys who hired you as a graphic designer, being unable to draw.
    However if you try, and try again until you find resemblance (with what you wanted to do) then you can learn drawing.
    References :

7. tigrrboxer on November 23rd, 2008 3:51 am

References :

8. flamingfeather on November 23rd, 2008 4:01 am

search for art you can do. sculpture, painting, absract. its not all drawing. keep looking and good luck. don't be afraid to do sometihng different.
    References :

9. TheKidneyMuncher on October 26th, 2009 10:48 am

Hello!

10. glamangel3 on January 6th, 2012 6:40 am

Actually people say practice, practice and practice but really you should find a picture and copy it. You should then copy some pictures that are the same to the first ones you copied. I started doing this since I was 10 and in 1 year my drawings looked a lot more life like.

11. glamangel3 on January 6th, 2012 6:42 am

I mean you should copy similar pictures to the one you first found out your good at

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!